Radius Security's Blog providing security advice, safety tips, and various news articles to help you better secure your home or business.

13
Feb
2013

10 Hidden Fire Hazards in Your Home

February 13th, 2013 | by admin admin | in Safety Advice |    0   comments

Fotolia_38584883_XS_0.jpgDid you know that, on average, eight Canadians die from fire every week? And, according to fire chiefs across Canada, far too many of those deaths are preventable. That’s the theme of Fire Prevention Week (October 7 to 13) this year: ``Have Two Ways Out.©`` Carelessness can be fatal.

As you gear up for winter, hunt down some of these hidden hazards in your home:

1. Dirty oven. Grease and food splatters can ignite at high temperatures.

2. A light bulb that burns out frequently probably has too high a wattage for the fixture.

3. Warm electrical cords are underrated or defective.

4. Dryer lint. Ensure the lint filter is clean, exhaust vent is clear and the outdoor vent flap opens easily.

5. Extension cords under rugs or furniture may become damaged and start arcing.

6. A candle in the window could set fire to curtains or drapes. Even worse, novelty candles bring their own kindling (paint, paper, dried flowers etc.). Extinguish candles within two inches of their holders.

7. Extension cords for an electric heater or any major appliance. Don’t. Just don’t.

8. Gasoline in the basement or other enclosed space. Gasoline must be stored in well ventilated areas, free from ignition sources. Store propane outdoors. Always keep a class B fire extinguisher close to your stored fuel.

9. Clutter, paper, paint, thinners, cleaners, oily rags, wood shavings and other flammable materials can fuel a fire in your garage, basement, attic or elsewhere. Time to clean up!

10. Your kids and pets. You. Well, only if they play with matches or lighters, knock over candles etc. And only if you smoke in bed, walk away from your cooking, smoke while you pour gasoline… You get the picture.

Did you know?

  • Moving a flaming pan away from the stove may fan the flames. The heat may cause you to drop the pan, and spread the fire. Immediately smother a grease fire—it spreads fast.
  • Turning on your dryer, central vacuum cleaner or kitchen exhaust for long periods of time can starve your fireplace or furnace of the oxygen it needs to burn. That results in excessive carbon monoxide.
  • An open candle flame can reach 1,400 degrees Celsius
  • Flickering lights, sparks, repeatedly blown fuses are all hints of an electrical fire hazard.
  • Natural gas appliances and heaters should show a clear blue flame—not an orange or yellow one.

Why not take an ounce of prevention before temperatures drop further? Call in a professional to service your furnace, heaters, chimney and appliances today.

For detailed fire safety tips check out Fire Prevention Canada`s 2012 information kit.

 

Note: This blog discusses general safety and security topics. It is not intended to provide comprehensive advice or guidance. In all matters of personal safety and security, we encourage readers to research topics in depth and consult a security professional about specific concerns.

 


free assessment
CLAIM YOUR FREE NO-OBLIGATION
SECURITY ASSESSMENT TODAY
Click on the live chat button at right to connect with one of our security experts.
FREE ASSESSMENT
© 2021 Radius Security. All Rights Reserved.
scroll up