Radius Security's Blog providing security advice, safety tips, and various news articles to help you better secure your home or business.
Keep Thieves Off Your Gift ListFebruary 13th, 2013 | by admin admin | in Security Advice | 0
Holiday shopping? So are thieves. That’s why B.C. police forces are warning you not to be too generous. Your car, your purse, your house offer crooks a deal they can’t refuse.
1. Park in busy, well lit areas.
2. Activate your car alarm and de-activate your inside trunk release.
3. Avoid multiple trips to your car to drop off purchases. If you must, buy small items first and hide them in the trunk. Then pick up larger items just before heading home.
4. While shopping, keep an eye on your debit or credit card and your purse at all times.
5. Avoid putting gifts under your Christmas tree until the last minute if they can be seen outside your home.
6. After tearing open your latest Xbox, iPad or SmartTV, don’t turn your blue bin into a sales flyer. Take your boxes directly to a recycling depot.
7. Online, purchase only from credible vendors, using a verified secured connection. Ideally, use a separate credit card with a low limit to reduce your risk of loss.
8. Be suspicious of great deals on Craigslist, eBay and other online classified or auction sites. Too often, that’s how thieves sell the goods they’ve picked up from careless shoppers.
For more safety and security tips, check out the VPD’s Seasonal Safety Tips
See also: Kelowna RCMP’s Don’t Let Car Thieves Steal Your Holiday Cheer
Note: This blog discusses general safety and security topics. It is not intended to provide comprehensive advice or guidance. In all matters of personal safety and security, we encourage readers to research topics in depth and consult a security professional about specific concerns.