Radius Security's Blog providing security advice, safety tips, and various news articles to help you better secure your home or business.
Choosing the Right Home Alarm SystemOctober 29th, 2015 | by admin admin | in Security Advice | 0
Vancouver police responded to 847 break-and-enters in September alone, and 5,235 in all of 2014. Statistics like these have homeowners thinking hard about installing a security alarm. But which alarm?
The VPD cautions that an unmonitored alarm means you rely on your neighbours to notify police, which may not happen. Due to the huge cost of false alarms, Coquitlam RCMP “gives priority response to multi-zone and verified alarms.” So, monitored security systems give you the best protection. But again, what kind of monitored system?
Any monitored residential security system relays alerts to your security company, which notifies the police if appropriate. The question is whether it uses a land line, cellular network or broadband internet connection. Wired connections, such as land lines, can easily be cut. Cellular links are more reliable, but broadband connections are faster and less expensive.
New technology also allows you to control your home security system using a mobile device. You can arm and disarm your alarms, check on your house via video surveillance, turn on lights and heat, and much more—from anywhere connected to the Internet.
The Edmonton Police Department, meanwhile, recommends a professionally installed security system over a do-it-yourself (DIY) alarm, which “carries a high risk of improper installation.” These are all considerations you need to discuss with your security monitoring company. But how do you choose the right company?
The Edmonton Police Department suggests checking with local business and trade associations. Radius Security, for example, is a member of the Better Business Bureau of Mainland B.C. and the Canadian Security Association. Your friends and insurance agent may also have recommendations.
Other questions to ask as you look for a security provider, and our answers:
- How long has the company been in business? Since 1948.
- How many service facilities do they have? One central 365/24/7 monitoring station and a fleet of 60 service vehicles.
- Does it possess adequate liability insurance? Yes.
- Are its employees bonded? Our professionals are licensed and bondable
- Are there any hidden costs? No.
- Does it meet industry accepted standards? Yes, we own and operate our own Five-Diamond-ULC-Certified central monitoring station and we are an A+-rated BBB company.
- Does the alarm company provide a 24-hour customer support/service number? Yes, 604.232.2407.
- Does it provide prompt service? Yes.
- Does the alarm company have an adequate training program for the use and operation of its system? Yes, with each installation comes an alarm tutorial provided by a licensed security technician and all users are encouraged to participate.
- Does it have access to a bonded and insured key holder service? Yes, Radius Security is proud to offer a Guard Response service, which can be used to respond to alarm calls.
- Is an alternative first response service available? Yes, guard service is available by monthly subscription.
- Is the security system designed for your specific needs using today’s technology and proper installation? Yes, we offer a broad range of options from traditional door-and-window contacts to cutting-edge remote arming/disarming, home automation and video surveillance.
- Will it give you piece of mind for years to come and provide trouble-free operation? Yes! Home monitoring includes a “maintenance package” to ensure your alarm system is always working.
Contact us today to obtain a detailed quote and system information as you research alarm monitoring options. And don’t forget to ask us about your free home alarm.
Note: This blog discusses general safety and security topics. It is not intended to provide comprehensive advice or guidance. In all matters of personal safety and security, we encourage readers to research topics in depth and consult a security professional about specific concerns.
Radius Security Vancouver, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Richmond, Surrey, Langley, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Ladner, Delta, Tsawwassen